Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Komet

I've eaten komet as long as I can remember ... in fact, I'm not even sure of the accurate spelling. It's a recipe that was handed down from my Mother's parents who immigrated from the former Yugoslavia. They were from a region that would later become known as Macedonia. It's basic ingredients and quite easy to make ... although a little labor intensive with rolling out 24 layers of dough. As with most family heirloom recipes, it was never written down with accurate measurements. I forced my mom to do so a few years ago while she taught me how to make it. I've made a few tweaks over the years and am happy to carry on the family tradition. Every time I make it, I wish my Grandmother could have lived long enough to know this ... and share her version of the recipe.




Crust:
3 c. flour
2 T. oil
1 t. salt
warm water (enough to bring dough to a ball)
Let dough rest 30 minutes

Seperate dough into 24 balls. 12 layers will become the top crust and 12 layers will become the bottom crust. Roll each ball into a 6-8 inch circle. Brush melted butter on each layer before adding the next. Leave the twelfth layer of each stack dry as this will become the top of your bottom layer and top of your top layer. Roll each 12 layer stack into the size needed for your baking sheet (I use a 1/4 sheet pan size).

Filling:
12 eggs
32 oz. cottage cheese
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Whisk together and pour into bottom crust. Add top layer of dough and crimp bottom and top layers together. Brush generously with melted butter. Place in a preheated 450 oven for 15-20 minutes (until top is lightly browned). Reduce oven to 350 and bake until done (approx. 30 min).

No comments:

Post a Comment